Sunday, April 10, 2011

Don't do as I do....

I mentioned one of the reasons I started this blog was to show working people how to incorporate healthier choices into their already busy lives. Eating "real" is much harder than today's convenient foods...it takes planning and implementing.  All this to say....don't do as I do lol!

For those of you that don't know me well I tend to be a bit of an overacheiver. And today it kicked my butt!

First off I always make a breakfast casserole on Sundays for us to take to work for breakfast all week. I also make jasmine green tea with stevia for Aaron's lunch and I decided to try one of the more involved recipes I've found...with 3 new labor intensive dishes. Oh, and I prepped tomorrow's dinner.  It all caught up this afternoon and I'm exhausted! I really need to learn to practice moderation! That's one mistake I tend to make is jumping in the deep end when I try new things. I get excited and go all gusto but then get burned out...so as I said, don't do that! LOL!

If the idea of changing everything is overwhelming, just try a few healthier choices each day.  It really is worth it!

I did find a simple little joy today. I'm not sure if you are the same as me but junk food had become a way of life. I had forgotten how good simple food could be. Today I enjoyed cashew butter and banana. It was a wonderful sweet treat but a month ago it would not have been appealing at all.  I'm amazed at how much my tastes have changed.

 
Here are a few tried and true recipes we've enjoyed:

 
Coconut-Curry Lentil Stew Served over Quinoa Allrecipes.com

I plan to try to simplize this one for the crockpot...I'll let you know how it turns out but following the recipe below was probably one of my favs in the past few weeks,

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-1/2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons molasses or honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut powder (optional)
  • 1/2 (4 inch) cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander (optional)
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions

  1. Soak the quinoa in a bowl filled with cold water for 5 minutes, then drain using a fine mesh strainer, and rinse with running water. Set the strainer aside so the quinoa can drain, then bring 1 3/4 cups of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid and is tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside, and keep warm.
  2. Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes more. Pour in the water and coconut milk, and add the molasses, coconut powder, cinnamon, curry powder, and ground coriander. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then stir in the lentils, and cook until just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir frequently as the lentils cook to keep them from sticking. Be careful not to overcook them, as they will quickly loose shape and become a paste.
  3. Once the lentils are done, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in the chopped cilantro. Serve the lentil stew over a bed of quinoa.

 
Lime Sorbet
2-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lime juice
4 pinches of pure stevia powder
1 cup fresh spinach leaves (optional)

Heat water and honey in a medium sauce pan until honey is dissolved.  Stir in lime juice and stevia.  If using spinach, pour mixture into food processor, add spinach, and process until smooth.  I like the addition of spinach because it adds a little nutrients and also makes the sorbet a nice green color.  You can't taste the spinach at all so it doesn't interfere with the flavor.
Place in icecream maker until frozen or pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  Once it is frozen, place back in food processor and process until smooth.

 

 
Mango Sorbet - Allrecipes.com
4 Mangos - peeled and seeded
1 cup of simple pyrup
Juice of 1 lime
  1. Place cubed mango in a food processor, and puree. Pour in chilled simple syrup and lime juice, and puree until smooth.
  2. Place in icecream maker until frozen or pour into ice cube trays and freeze.  Once it is frozen, place back in food processor and process until smooth

No comments:

Post a Comment