Friday, April 8, 2011

The beginning...

My journey to better health began 3 weeks ago. I had my first dr's appt with a new dr and weighed in at a totally unacceptable weight. You see I've struggled with my weight since I was a kid. I was always chubby until the summer before highschool it all fell off, whether it was infatuation with my first boyfriend or my teenage metabolism kicking it it was a miracle lol!

I kept it off for years then in my mid 20's it began creeping back on. It didn't help that I was in a miserable marriage and ate for comfort and from that point on I've struggled, sometimes winning but most of the time giving in to the cravings and moments if pleasure junk food gave me.

Once I got divorced I decided it was time to do something and found The book The Makers Diet by Rubin. It was my first glimpse into what today's food is doing to us (more on that later), so I started watching what I ate and dropped weight immediately. I was quit happy with myself and managed to keep it off for a few years but then life got in the way. I went back to convenience food and eating out 2 or 3 times a week. Shortly I gained it all back plus more.

Well I've decided enough is enough! I dug out the book again and got serious! I'm on my third week of eating healthy; dropped 8 lbs and I'm actually enjoying the journey. The trick is making it a lifestyle change that will last a lifetime.  I'm hoping by blogging I'll have some accountability and maybe even help someone else along the way.

If you would like to join me or even want to just stand on the sidelines and watch feel free...I'll try to share some of the information I come across, maybe a few healthy recipes (only after approved by my guys ;) and whatever else catches my fancy. 

I'm learning lots of amazing stuff about nutrition, food preparation, and some wild facts about todays food industry.  Stay tuned if you want to learn more and keeping it real.

PS - had my follow up appt with the dr today, was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which is essentially caused by toxins, stress and lack of essential vitamins and nutrients.  So another chapter begins to a healthier me.

Blessings, D

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us follow you on your journey, DD. I love the title, Keeping in Real, it's so YOU! :) So sorrry about your diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, I hope the Dr. can get you back in balance and that you feel better soon. You got this, Sis! Much love! <3
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY SWEETIE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE SQUASH RECIPE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for Checking out my blog. And Becca thanks for being my first follower!!!
    Mimi here's the squash Fritatta recipe. Love y'all!

    Squash Florentine Frittata

     

    2-3 Tablespoons of butter

    1 summer squash sliced

    2 stalks of green onion, chopped

    1 handful of fresh spinach or 10 oz pkg of frozen

    6 eggs

    ¼ cup of milk

    Seasoning to taste – salt, pepper, garden blend (anything you like in eggs)

    Turkey sausage (optional)

    ¼ cup of cheese (optional)

     

    Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

    Whisk eggs and milk, set aside.

    Melt butter in an oven safe frying pan (all metal or silicone handle) on med/high heat.

    Sauté squash and onion until slightly browned, add spinach toward end of cooking. Season to taste.

    Add any additional ingredients (sausage, cheese, etc…)

    Quickly whisk eggs again, pour over vegetables, allow to cook for about 1 minute on stove top then transfer to oven.

    Bake for 15-17 minutes until firm.

    Top with a sprinkle of cheese. Serve.

     

    Depending on the size of your pan you can double this recipe with a dozen eggs. You can play with it and use as many different ingredients as you can imagine. It’s basically an omelet in the oven but I like it because it makes multiple servings rather than the time it takes for individual omelets. Dozen eggs probably take about 25-30 minutes to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS DIET?THANKS FOR RECIPE LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mimi, my lifestyle change is based on the book "The Maker's Diet", its basically eating according to Biblical principals. You can get it at Half Price Books or online used.

    The book was the beginning of my journey however I've done additioanl research to figure out what works best for me. I still eat shrimp cuz I love it...but I've cut out pork and try to eat turkey sausage instead. I've also tried to cut out as many processed foods as possible that include chemicals, genetically modified organisms and especially high fructose corn syrup. My rule is if I can't read all the ingerdients on the label I don't buy it. I'm trying to eat meat and veggies...organic would be best but I haven't completely changed to that due to the expense.

    So to answer your question...its based on the Maker's Diet with my own twist.

    ReplyDelete